September 6, 2013

Day 4 - A time when I was afraid

This one is an easy one for me as the story I am about to tell you sticks in my mind as something that I never want to repeat again.

At the age of 22 I decided my life needed a huge change so what do I do? I pack up everything I own and decide to backpack through Europe for over a year. This trip was one of the most amazing times of my life and I will always remember it fondly. But of course there was a not so great part as well.

I had decided that it would be a good idea to take the train all the way from Germany to Greece because I had never been in a sleeper cabin.  That way I would get to see a lot of scenery along the way as well. I was trying to follow the schedule that I had been given the best I could but some where along the way I become confused about where to get off to make my connection.


So at 1am I found myself in an empty train station with the last train of the night leaving before I could realize it was the one I should have stayed on. The train station was in an old area with most of the building looking like they were completely abandoned. When I peered outside there was nothing around that I could see. I started to panic and tried to hold back the tears as best I could but I had no idea what I was suppose to do at this point. It started looking like a horror movie the longer I stood there.

To my relief a nice old cab driver came up to me and although he barely spoke English what I made out was that he knew a nice cheap hotel near by that he could take me to because I couldn't stay at the train station all night. If this cab driver hadn't of been there I honestly don't know what I would have done. I was terrified of stepping out and walking the dark streets alone.

Although I was pretty shaken up the next morning I showered and changed and continued on my way vowing to pay better attention and double check everything when travelling alone.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...