November 8, 2013

The way travel changes you - Rachel from Postcards from Rachel

 
Today I have the lovely Rachel from Postcards from Rachel taking over the blog. She has my ideal life, the way she gets to move every six months. Plus she got to live in Scotland, one of the places I am dying to explore.

Hi, everyone! I'm Rachel and I blog over at Postcards from Rachel. I was excited when Kayleigh contacted me about writing a guest post on travel and how it has changed me because the list is long... and these changes have all been positive! I'm grateful for everything I have experienced these past couple of years and I truly believe this situation has made me a better person. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd live abroad and continue to move around every 6 months. And never did I think I'd be married to a man interested in exploring the world with me. When you start traveling and experiencing wonderful, life-changing things, you realize the possibilities are endless. My family can live anywhere and we can do anything -- we just have to figure out how! You might be wondering why we moved in the first place. You can read the entire story here, but long story short, my husband was offered a job in Aberdeen, Scotland so I quit my job and we moved right after our wedding. We lived in Scotland for a year and have continued to move around the United States every six months. Right now we're located in Boston, Massachusetts. We love exploring new places! Like I said, the list is long. But here are a few of the ways travel has forever changed me and my family.

Family photo
1. It forced us to communicate and figure out everything early on Moving right after our wedding was stressful, chaotic, and a lot to deal with after being husband and wife for only a week. We had to pack up all of our belongings, move them into a storage unit, and ended up staying in a tiny hotel room for a while. Newlywed bliss? I don't think so. But I wouldn't change it for the world. Of course we fought, but I think it made us stronger in the long-run. We didn't have family and friends in Scotland so it forced us to rely on each other and communicate in a positive way.
  Amalfi Coast

2. It taught us that memories are more important than "stuff" Like other women, I enjoy purchasing new clothes and the latest purse that everyone is craving, but traveling has made me realize how little I need. Most of the time when we traveled through Europe, we brought a small backpack each. I packed a few shirts, one pair of jeans, and some comfortable boots and flats and was good to go. Sure, I probably looked like a wrinkly mess by the end of our vacation, but I didn't care; I was having way too much exploring to worry about my clothes, makeup, and hair! When we move back to DC and go through the storage unit we haven't seen for 2 1/2 years, you can bet we'll be donating around 90% of our belongings. We just don't need it all. 3. It has made us more adventurous We've tried "weird" foods, we've been on camels and hiked up mountains, we've had lunch at an Imam's house in Morocco, and we've stepped out of our comfort zone on numerous occasions. Travel makes you adventurous! When we discuss our travel bucket list with family and friends, some of them think we're crazy but we don't think anything of it because our goal is to see the world and experience new cultures.
  Camel rides

4. We appreciate what we have After handing out pencils and candy to children in the Atlas Mountains and seeing how excited they were just to receive something to write with and munch on, I've realized how much have. We have food, shelter, clothing, and so much to be grateful for. Travel definitely changes you in this regard.
  Couples photo

Thanks for allowing me to take over your blog, Kayleigh. And to her wonderful readers -- I hope you'll stop by my blog and follow my family's adventures. :)

5 comments :

  1. Thank you for having me! It was a lot of fun writing this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading Rachel's features :) It's so easy to focus on the negatives or the things that take a little longer to adjust to, and she's always so positive and sunny side up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool it is to be able to travel that much.. it always has been my dream to be a total gypsy, a wanderer, a nomad.. some people find it sad and unstable but to me it just screams adventure, incredible experiences and leading a unique life.. I'm dying to go to Morocco... how cool!! thanks to you and Rachel for sharing the photos.. and yes! I agree on the thing she said about traveling makes you simpler.. you realize that all you need in life is less...no fancy purses, shoes or coats.. honestly.. that's just greedy sometimes.... anyway.. enjoy your wanderlust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ivette. I think living the gypsy life is awesome. Especially moving every 6 months like Rachel does. Such a lucky girl

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...