December 13, 2013

How to survive winter

Only a few people I know actually prefer winter to summer. Most of us cringe as the temperatures start to drop, dreading the day when we have to get up an extra 20 minutes earlier just so we can scrap off our car and warm it up before driving to work. Unfortunately winter is just a fact of life for most of us around the world who aren't lucky enough to live in a tropical climate. This is my first winter in all most two years, to say I am struggling would be an understatement. Instead of moping around for the next 4 months I have come up with a list of little things to do to make me smile.



5 tips to surviving winter

1) Get moving. I know that its extremely hard to make yourself go outside when its cold, but I promise you will feel good if you get your butt off the couch and workout. My favourite is hot yoga. I find hot yoga is the perfect remedy to cold winter days. By the time I leave an hour later I am in a great mood, I have sweated out all my negative thoughts and am ready to embrace what the day has to offer.

2) Stock up on vitamin D. Its not a nice feeling, waking up to go to work its dark, drive home from work its dark. I feel so much better during these short days when I take a lot of vitamin D during the day. It makes a huge difference in my day to day mood.

3) Start a few hobbies. Instead of spending hours in front of the tv, how about trying something new. Knitting, quilting, jewelry making. Imagine how many neat homemade gifts you could make in the months that its to cold to spend anytime outside. You will feel a since of accomplishment and have lots to show off to your friends.

4) Stock up on all your favourite holiday drinks. Hot chocolate, baileys, pumpkin spice, gingerbread, my list could go on. Nothing says cozy like a hot drink and a good book. If you have a fireplace even better. I could spend hours in front of a fireplace reading.

5) When its a total blizzard outside, cozy up with your other half. Turn on a movie, order some takeout and shutout the rest of the world. We all need a little down time. I love spending a Sunday cuddled up on the couch, a stack of movies ready to watch and an endless supply of coffee and baileys.

What do you love to do during those cold winter months?

5 comments :

  1. Great tips for coping with winter. Hot chocolate, mulled wine and winter scented candles in front of the fire are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about scented candles. I do love sitting around the fireplace with candles all around for light. Such a great way to spend the night.

      Delete
  2. Cyprus is having a pretty bad winter right now. Its 3 degrees celsius, the mountains and surrounding villages are blanketed with snow and even here in the city, some areas had snow last night. It is quite weird when I think just two months ago we had scorching temps still. Our houses are not cut out for winter and I have been freezing cold for days. Im struggling to see the positives. But in a strange way, it is nice to have a different season other than summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips! i couldn't agree with you more on hot yoga and new hobbies. also, i love going on long snow hikes with my dog and my camera...the light is always so magical with a fresh coat of snow :)

    Molly {Dreams in HD}
    http://dreamsinhd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it great to take pictures of the snow before it has been touched. I love the way it glitters in the sunshine.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...