January 17, 2014

Flying solo

It never occurred to me that the plane I would be on for my flight from Sydney to Halifax would be tiny, I was thrilled that I had found a very good deal on a flight to Calgary right from Sydney allowing me to skip the painful four hour drive to Halifax. But as I sat at the airport waiting to board I looked out the window to see this extremely small plane pull up. I immediately start heating up and break out in hives at the thought of being stuck on that thing, Not only does it only have nine rows but we are all so close together that I feel like a can of sardines. At least it was only an hour flight and we had zero turbulence. I love flying but turbulence not so much.


I love people watching at airports, do you? I'm always curious about where everyone is off to. Watching all the emotional goodbyes. My own goodbye was nothing short of emotional. I'm really not good with goodbyes, I tend to just start walking away rather then face all those emotions. Jason's mom was kind enough to drive me and wait at the airport until my flight boarded. I had been pre-warned that she gets very emotional and its why she never sees any of her boys off when they leave. True enough as it came time to say goodbye and for me to board, tears start streaking down her face. I felt so bad for her because for the last 5 months she had graciously given Jason and I a place to stay and I have really enjoyed getting to know her. But I have promised to text her when I arrive and look forward to when she flys out to visit us.

Travelling is exhausting, even though for the most part you are sitting around waiting, sitting on the plane. You really don't do a whole lot but by the time I arrive at my destination I feel dirty, exhausted and ready for a nap. Maybe its all that stale air that you get to breath in during the flight.

I will arrive in Calgary a few short days before my birthday, just in time to celebrate with my sisters and friends that I haven't seen in all most two years.

What is your favourite part about flying?

6 comments :

  1. I flew solo once before to visit a college. It was quite an experience navigating airports alone, but at least I gained a little confidence out of it. Emotional goodbyes freak me out so I tend to walk away too lol - it was very nice of you to stick around through it all :) Safe travelling and happy birthday!

    http://the20somethingcurse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love sitting at the airport watching everyone. I usually tend to get a lot of writing done in airports as well.

      Delete
  2. I am such a weirdo because I love flying and airports. I actually enjoy traveling alone and people watching in the airport. Ohh and sometimes I purposefully pick travel routes that have connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up my family traveled a lot, and airports just kind of became part of the routine. A lot of airports have their own art or special architectural design, which I enjoy. I always get a kick out of what kind of fast food restaurants you find at the airport you are flying into. They are always changing, and Dunkin Donuts seem to be in unusual places, usually outside of the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also travelled a ton when I was younger as we grew up in the army but for some reason flying by myself is a bit stressful.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...