February 28, 2014

Dealing with the post travel blues


Coming down from the high that is travel and adventure can be tough, add that in to the fact that we returned to Calgary in the middle of winter and boom you are dealing with the post travel blues. After the initial excitement of coming home after two years, seeing friends and family and enjoying your favourite foods, returning to real life can be tough.

This happened to me before when I returned home after being gone for a year and a half travelling around Europe. Knowing that I would probably start to feel the same way I have developed a list of things I like to do to try and push away those blues.


  • Moving into a new place, buying furniture, new or used and decorating your creative space. This has been one of the best distractions for me. Jason works away for a few weeks at a time so the majority of this has been left up to me which keeps me pretty busy. I have really enjoyed finding unique pieces for our home.
  • Start a project. I have been knitting a ton and have so far completed a scarf and will be starting a  throw blanket soon. I also have a few diy ideas for our place that I will share with everyone as I start them.
  • Stay active. In the cold and gloom of winter it is just to easy to stay on the couch and waste away the hours with bad tv. I make a point of getting out of the house at least every other day, even if it is just to go walk around the mall or go to Starbucks and read a book for a few hours.
  • Go through your pictures. Its been great to re-live our travels as I go through all the pictures we have. I am currently in the midst of creating a feature wall with all our favourite pictures. Its amazing all the little things I remember and it makes me smile every time I look through them.
  • Start planning your next trip. I am always going through travel books or scrolling through pinterest to get ideas for our next vacation. Even if it won't happen for awhile it is uplifting to start thinking about possibilities and writing down ideas.
  • Make the most of where you are now. If you are like me and are currently living somewhere that really isn't your favourite place it can be easy to descend into depression. Writing down all the things I have to be grateful for, buying myself little treats when I need a pick me up or visiting with friends really helps remind me that I am lucky to live the life I do.
Do you have any tips for people dealing with the post travel blues?

4 comments :

  1. These are all really great points! I'm so familiar with this too, oh the highs and lows of travel...another thing to go with your last point is to take advantage of what's right around you. I love discovering a new little cafe or park in the neighborhood I live in :) Happy weekend wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I am settling down a bit as well I also find decorating my own helps with post travel blues. Especially going through all our photos and choosing ones to print off and hang up on our walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very useful tips some of which I have tried. Researching the next trip and looking at holiday photos are always helpful! I can't think of anymore - I think you have covered everything here and I shall certainly try your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that I am not the only one who suffered from the post-holiday blues! I think you have given some constructive suggestions to cope with these negative feelings, but personally I think the best way to get over it is to explore your home city. While travelling or staying abroad has definitely expanded my horizons, I also started to see things from a new perspective. No doubt it is an interesting experience to explore my hometown with my new pair of coloured glasses on, and I gradually started to appreciate what home has to offer.

    Feel free to check out my blog: www.auswanderlusts.wordpress.com

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...