March 21, 2014

Corfu, Greece

A few weeks ago the lovely Molly from Dreaming in HD invited me to do a guest post for her. I decided to write about my wonderful experience living and volunteering in Corfu, Greece. Below is a little bit about my experience. In the next few weeks I will share bits and pieces from my travels around Europe.

I spent five months living on a horse ranch/riding centre. Originally I was only going to stay about one month before continuing on to the other islands but I just fell in love with everything about Corfu and I couldn't bare to leave so soon. I randomly found the Silva Riding Centre online when I was looking for places to volunteer at in exchange for room and board. The centre is located about 10 minutes outside of the town of Corfu sitting right on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. Not only is the surrounding area picturesque but the actual property is so large that you feel like you are in your own little magical world.


I worked 6 days a week if you could even call it work. Basically I fed, rode and played with horses all day long. I also helped out in the lessons when I was needed, mostly leading around the younger children that were not yet old enough to ride completely by themselves. Apart from being a training centre the Silva Project also rescued unwanted and abused animals, usually horses and dogs. It was heartbreaking to see the condition that most of the animals were brought to us in but helping them recover and watching them transform as the months went on was heartwarming. I wanted to adopt every single one and bring them home with me.

In my free time I would wander around the island taking pictures, walk into town with the other volunteers to enjoy the outdoor markets and coffee shops. We had private beach access on the property so at night if it was warm enough we would head down and sit around a bonfire watching the stars. I loved getting to know all the other volunteers who came from all over the world to share in this experience. These fellow volunteers became my family over those months and dinner was always a large, loud event with wine and dancing continuing into the early hours of the morning.


I will forever cherish my time here and would love to go back one day. I honestly could of spent the rest of my life here content to forever be a volunteer. I would recommend Corfu to anyone looking for a peaceful island getaway. The locals are so friendly and welcoming, we were always invited to festivals and special occasions. The view from the beach is worth the trip alone and the food is to die for.

Thanks so much for taking the time to learn a bit about me and my travels. Although I went backpacking through Europe more then four years ago I have never shared my experience here on the blog. I'm excited to share more about my travels and time there.



2 comments :

  1. I'm going to have to remember to email you once we make the trip. I'd love to visit Corfu. I love My Family and Other Animals, and while many people have said that 'that' Corfu doesn't exist today, I have no hesitations about still making the trip and visiting the rest of Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course I would love to give you a few tips. I thought Corfu was amazing, the people where so friendly there.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...