March 27, 2014

Don't you want to love something


 I heard this phrase while at the movies the other day. A couple where having a conversation about their careers. The girl asked the guy about his job and if it was what he wanted to do for the rest of his life. He said it was a good job and it paid well but it wasn't his passion and she asked, don't you want to love something?

I had never really thought about it that way before now. I went to school to become an Esthetician simply because at the time it was the only thing I enjoyed and that I could see myself doing as a career. I have never put my career first, instead choosing a job that would pay well making travel possible.

I am an extremely restless person. I switch back and forth and change my mind a million times, so for me, finding my purpose has been a bit of a struggle. For example, I have had five different jobs in one year. Simply because there was something that bothered me, or I didn't exactly agree with certain rules or procedures.

I have realized over the years that I will never be someone who just wants to do one thing. I have a long list of courses and programs I would like to take. Some for fun and others so I can test them out to see if I want to turn it into a career. I am envious of those who have always known what they wanted to do and have been happy in their career choice for years.

 I am happy to report that I have signed up for a month long intensive yoga teacher training program. True to my nature I am diving right in, ready to fully immerse myself in the experience. For the next few months I will be working on my practice, making sure that I am ready for the challenge ahead. I have a long list of books to read, some on the required reading list and others that have peaked my curiosity. I am really excited to share this experience with you guys and hopefully at the end of July I will be a qualified yoga teacher.

What are you passionate about? What steps did you take to figure it out?

8 comments :

  1. Following your dreams is so incredibly worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It seems we are of a similar mindset, I too am just realizing that I will never be satisfied with just pursuing one career. (I've been designing kid's clothes for a few years now for mass retailers, and have finally come to terms with the fact that I am ready to move on from it.) Becoming a yoga teacher is actually on my goal list this year…I love how you just dived right into a teacher training….I don't even know what type of yoga I want to do my training for yet! (I've practiced Bikram for 5 years, but for various reasons will not do that teacher training, and I occasionally practice vinyasa. Right now I'm exploring practicing at different studios.) I can't wait to read more about your yoga teacher training process in the upcoming months!

    http://www.melindadiorio.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melinda for your kind words. I am really excited but also nervous to start this journey. I think it is really important to try many different studios to find the right style and teacher for your practice. I go to a few different places because of the teachers I love.

      Delete
  3. You know, I just started following you yesterday and I love your blog.

    This post really spoke to me. I'm doing a teaching internship right now and I'm graduating in ONE MONTH! But the thing is, I don't really want to be a teacher. I too feel that I will never be happy just doing one thing. This has really been heavy on my heart lately, especially the past few days. I've been praying and praying and then I come across this post. It's reassuring and inspiring.

    Thank you for sharing! I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future. :)

    Www.Express-inspire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily, I'm glad your loving my blog. I think many people feel the way we do, but its a great accomplishment to complete your degree and have a career that you can always fall back on if things don't work out in other areas.

      Delete
  4. I struggle with knowing what I want to do with my life as well! I have so many interests, and things that I enjoy doing! I dong think it's a bad thing at all though, I think of it as being open minded and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the thing you should about being envious of people who always know what they want to do is so true. I have never been that person. I have never known what I wanted to do. I only went to university because my brother told me it would be a good experience. I studied fashion writing, because well I liked fashion and I liked writing. I never thought further ahead about a career. I have been working in Cyprus for three years at a financial services company simply because this island has two main industries; tourism and finance. I did my job because it paid me, but I didnt enjoy every minute of it. Now I am unemployed and off on my next adventure. it scares me but it is also exciting. I didnt think I would be the sort of person who wants to pick up and move, but evidently, living in different countries suits me. part of me feels though like I never will find a career in life, just do jobs because they are ok and they pay me. But you know what, im beginning to realise that thats ok too. because im not a career women. and i would rather sacrifice a career to be with the person i love and have a happy healthy family, and experience different cultures and the world. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on that, the preferring to have adventures and see the world over having a career. I am totally fine with that. I am really excited to start reading about your new adventure.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...