September 8, 2014

Volunteering in Greece


When I decided to back through Europe at the age of 22, I really didn't have much of a plan. All I knew was that I would need to find some source of income to extend my stay. Europe can be a very expensive place and I was working with a very tight budget.

After doing a bit of research I found lots of opportunities to work in exchange for room and board. This seemed like the perfect solution to my problem. Not only would I cut my costs in half, I would also be able to immerse myself in the local culture and hopefully make some friends as well.

I volunteered at two places while I travelled around Greece. One was a fig farm just outside of Athens, not such a great experience. The other was the Silva Riding Project on Corfu Island.


I spent five month in Corfu. It was a wonderful experience and if you would like to learn more check out this post and this one.

At any given time there was about six or more volunteers, all ranging in age. I became great friends with these volunteers. On our days off we would venture into town, take part in trivia night at the local pub and sit around a bonfire on the beach.


Having this wonderful group of people with me, made my journey an unforgettable one. If you are planning a trip around Europe but are worried about your budget, I would really recommend looking into volunteering options.

Do you have a similar experience that you would like to share?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...